Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Words, Thoughts, Actions

In preparing to teach recently at Ouachita River Fellowship in Malvern, I was debating what translation of the Bible to use. In the end I decided upon the New International Version.


Six years ago, I was using this copy of the Bible to preach through the Psalms. It was enjoyable flipping through the pages and seeing some of my notes. Because of my markings, I know exactly where I was at in the Psalms when God called me to pastor elsewhere. More importantly, I can see some of the exact things that I was thinking about and teaching on during that time.

In Psalm 19:12-14, we find these words:
"Who can discern his errors? Forgive my hidden faults. Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me. Then will I be blameless, innocent of great transgression. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer."
We all have sin in our lives. This is something that neither individuals nor society as a whole particularly like to acknowledge. But we know that "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). For those of us who have come to know the power and grace of Jesus Christ, we know that those sins have been forgiven. That does not mean, however, that we never did them, only that we will not be held accountable for them because of the sacrificial love of Jesus; it also does not mean that we will not struggle with them in the future.

As I look over my notes from teaching on this passage years ago, I want to share a couple of thoughts that I see in the margins. I do not take credit for these; sadly, the margins left little room for citing the original sources. Nevertheless, I feel that the reflection and sharing is necessary:
  • secret sins may do deadly mischief; it is well to be in much prayer concerning them
  • the final verse addresses both expressed ("words of my mouth") and unspoken ("meditation of my heart") words
  • words are a mockery if the heart does not meditate
Sin draws our attention from God. It is relentless in doing so. And it can be fun, though that fun is short-lived. The sins which we think are hidden from men are exposed fully before God. Upon reflection, I think that it is those sins which we believe no one sees that draw us farthest from God; often these are the ones that we willfully choose, which increases their capacity to take hold of us.

That's why David offers the prayer which he does: "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." If our words and thoughts are God-centered, our actions will be less inclined towards sin. None of us are perfect, but God has offered to make us a new creation through Jesus Christ. Today, let's turn our eyes towards Him and His divine purpose.

Bibliography

NIV Archaeological Study Bible. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2005. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment