Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Next Steps

by Joshua Bland

Life involves change. While most of the details of life are somewhat inconstant, that particular fact is not. Everything changes: we grow, our families grow, our jobs change, our interests and hobbies change, and we move.

It is amazing to me to think that God is working change in each of our lives. He is the sovereign Lord of all creation, and He knows every detail long before we do. David writes: "O Lord, Thou hast searched me and known me. Thou dost know when I sit down and when I rise up; Thou dost understand my thought from afar. Thou dost scrutinize my path and my lying down, and art intimately acquainted with all my ways" (Psalm 139:1-3). A few verses later he notes that "Thine eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Thy book they were all written, the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them" (Psalm 139:16).

As I am writing, my wife and I have been discussing what we are going to have for supper. In the big picture, this dilemma seems to me to be quite trivial. Since God knows all of my days before one of them came to be, He knows our present discussion, both its debate and its outcome. He has long known of the passions and opportunities which He has set before us, and is intimate with the details of my life. This becomes even more incredible when I realize that I am not the center of God's attention: the same way He saw the life of David, He sees and knows each one of ours. He knows all of our meal dilemmas, as well as everything else about us.

Recently, the Landing underwent an address change. This has occurred for several reasons. For quite some time, God has been guiding my heart and passion more and more towards educational ministry. This meant balancing time between family, school, and pastoral responsibilities. In recent months, He has affirmed and reaffirmed my calling to teach. After much prayer and consideration, I have resigned from my pastoral duties at Ouachita River Fellowship.

This change brings about much opportunity. For myself, my family, and my scholastic roles/responsibilities, this will open up many doors to serve and grow. However, it also offers a new dynamic to ministry. While I will no longer be a pastor at ORF, I will continue to write here at The Landing along with Thomy and Wade. Though the situation has necessarily changed according to the leading of the Holy Spirit, my commitment to sharing the Gospel and helping the Church grow in faith and ministry has not.

Knowing that God is omniscient, that He sees our every step and so much more, we are faced with an interesting question: will we trust Him as He leads? Will we step out in faith to answer His call in our lives? I can honestly say that I am no perfect example in this, but that I am eager to see how God will work in the days ahead. I pray for each of us that God would give us both discernment to hear His voice and courage to follow wherever He leads.

Bibliography

New American Standard Bible. La Habra, CA: Lockman Foundation, 1977. Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment