Thursday, January 1, 2015

Reflections

The times... they are changing.

It has been some time since we last communicated. I hope that you and your family enjoyed the Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations and that you are looking eagerly to 2015. I know that I am; I cannot wait to see what adventures lie ahead!

Two years ago, I was spending New Year's Eve on my own. My wife was travelling with her side of the family, and my parents and sister were all travelling as well. When I had gotten on the road from dropping my wife, Rachel, off with her parents, I did so with the intent of driving back to Little Rock. However, it was mid-afternoon, and it would have been a very late arrival. I decided instead to go back and stay the night at my parents' house, and start fresh the next morning. As I was driving, I called my grandmother to see what she was doing. She invited me out for supper.

I ended up staying out at her house until after midnight. We watched football, visited, and laughed. It was a truly enjoyable evening, one which I will never forget. Within six months, she was diagnosed with cancer. Six months later (almost a year ago to date), she passed away.

I love and miss my Nana. She is not the only one that I lost this year. But 2014 also had some truly incredible, unforgettable moments: a family vacation with my parents and sister, a march through Washington DC on the fourth of July, and countless other personal and professional highlights.

In the end, 2014 was a sobering reminder to cherish every moment. And that is our challenge looking ahead to 2015. Love God, love others, and savor the beauty that is life.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment