Tuesday, September 5, 2017

On Memorizing Scripture

"And you never can be sorry for the trouble you took to learn them [two thousand Bible verses]; for knowledge is worth more than anything there is in the world; it's what makes great men and good men..."

Judge Thatcher, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer,
Mark Twain (emphasis mine)

In a world dominated by the latest educational and discipleship trends, I would encourage us not to shy away from memorization. The Judge was above commending Tom on his (albeit alleged) learning of two thousand verses of Scripture. Without getting into the various arguments for and against rote memorization as a teaching tool, I think it is important that we take another look at the Judge's final statement (emphasized above). Now consider the words of the Psalmist:

"Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day. Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the aged, for I keep your precepts. I hold back my feet from every evil way, in order to keep Your word. I do not turn aside from Your rules, for You have taught me. How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth."

Psalm 119:97-103

Brothers and sisters, we should be intentional about memorizing Scripture. We are surrounded by pressing matters and temptation every day: in order to navigate these troubled waters, it is vital that God's word is our meditation. It should be the chart by which we navigate. The psalmist notes the wisdom it gives him in comparison to those who are considered wise in society. More importantly, he proclaims the practical impact of having God's word as his meditation: holding his own feet back from evil, he does not turn aside from obeying the command of God.

Lord, let this be the case in our own lives. Empower us by Your Spirit to better hear Your voice and obey Your word.

Bibliography

ESV Bible. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2001. Kindle.

Twain, Mark. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. New York, NY: Random House Publishing, 1989.

No comments:

Post a Comment